Person Accounts in Salesforce: Person accounts allow for the keeping of personal data in a record that can function as an account when needed by merging specific contact and account fields into a single record.
“Person Accounts store information about individual people by combining certain Account and Contact fields into a single record,” according to the Salesforce definition.
An alternative interpretation of this would be the union of contacts and accounts to provide a single repository for a person’s information that can also function as an account when needed.
When a person account is formed, the contact is immediately generated and associated with the account, so the user no longer needs to associate a company with a contact.
Create Person Accounts
Person Accounts must be enabled before proceeding. For the agent to make this modification, you will have to open a support case with Salesforce. You’ll then be allowed to move on with changing your profile. This page outlines every process, including giving support access in your account settings.
Person accounts could be made:
- The “New Account” operation is done manually.
- Data Loader was used for import (admins only),via conversion of leads
- Changed from a Commercial Account
Note that leads with a blank company field will be changed to person accounts automatically after you enable person accounts in your organization, whereas leads with a value in the company field will be converted to business accounts, as usual.
Set up Salesforce Person Accounts
Person Accounts could only be enabled by going to Salesforce support, but that is no longer the case.
Person Accounts can be enabled by selecting Setup, typing Person Accounts into the Quick Find box, and then choosing Person Accounts. Upon activating person accounts, you will be required to sign an organization impact acknowledgement, as you cannot undo this. Click Enable Person Accounts and then Enable again after you’ve signed off.
Give user profiles the Person Account record type. Navigate to Profiles and select Record Type Settings by scrolling down. To transfer the person account to the Selected Record Type section, click Edit. Press Conserve
Conditions To Activate Individual Accounts In Salesforce
Once you have fulfilled these requirements, you can enable personal accounts.
There are one or more record types in the account object.
Read permission on contacts is granted to user profiles that have read permission on accounts.
The default sharing settings for the entire company are either both account and contact are private or contact is controlled by parent.
Utilizing Person Accounts with Leads
Examining how person accounts relate to leads in a Salesforce organization provides more insight into personal accounts. Any Salesforce expert who has worked with leads knows that to turn a lead into a contact that is linked to an account for the business, the information must have the name of the firm. Some Salesforce administrators are irritated by this since they have users who fill up the company field with “dummy” data in an attempt to convert leads.
One “dummy” account at my former employer contained over a million contacts, which undoubtedly hindered performance when several contacts connected to that account were accessed at once. By enabling users to create personal accounts directly from their lead records, person accounts aid in the solution of this issue.
When Would Person Accounts Be Beneficial to Your Organization
Person accounts are useful for your organization, but once you start using them, you cannot turn them off.
This means that in order to ascertain whether person accounts are a workable option, it is imperative that extensive research be done. When conducting this research, you should consider the following questions:
- Will using the Account object be required for business accounts going forward?
- Does my Salesforce organization have adequate storage to accommodate Person Accounts?
- Do Person Accounts work with the sharing and security settings I have now?
- Do my Account or Contact objects have any APEX code that needs to be modified to work with this new feature?
- Can I thoroughly test this functionality in a sandbox environment before turning it on?
Disadvantages: Using Person Accounts
Person accounts have many drawbacks, despite the fact that they are a fantastic solution for certain companies or organizations:
- In actuality, a Person Account record will use up storage for both the Account and Contact objects. This is so because the creation of a personal account also immediately creates a contact. When thinking about person accounts, businesses that deal with a lot of individual clients will need to keep this in mind.
- Each time a user creates or modifies a Person Account, every Account Flow starts. Salesforce organizations that have a lot of automation set up for their account objects may experience performance problems as a result.
- Person accounts cannot be enabled unless certain organization-wide sharing settings are adjusted. It is necessary for organizations to adjust their sharing model if they do not have a private sharing model or if contacts are not marked as “controlled by parent” in their sharing settings.
- The following fields are not accessible while adding or modifying Person Account records:
- Parent Account: View Reports by Hierarchy This is due to the fact that a field in a Person Account record cannot look up another Person Account record.
Best Practices for Personal Accounts
Data Quality: To guarantee trustworthy insights and efficient customer interactions, keep customer information accurate and comprehensive within Person Accounts
Maintain uniformity in data entry, encompassing name standards, to enable effortless searching and reporting.
Integration: For a smooth workflow, integrate Person Accounts with other Salesforce modules like Opportunities, Leads, and Contacts.
Updates on a regular basis: As client interactions change, update and enrich Person Account data accordingly.
Instruction: Teach your support, marketing, and sales teams how to use Person Accounts to increase customer interaction.
Salesforce Person Accounts are an effective tool for companies that interact with individual customers. They make it possible for businesses to keep a thorough picture of their clientele, which improves marketing, sales, and customer service initiatives.
Through adherence to optimal methodologies and resolution of related obstacles, enterprises can fully leverage Person Accounts’ capabilities and provide customized, expedient, and exceedingly gratifying clientele encounters.
Person accounts are essential for staying ahead of the curve and preserving a competitive edge in the ever-changing world of CRM. Your customer relationship management efforts will succeed if you embrace them.